Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chips or Carrots

As I grab for the carrot bag instead of the chip bag, I started thinking about how this pregnancy has been going. For the past month I have been having these "fun" progesterone shots. My doctor "talked" me into having them. The logic behind the injections is is that it will help keep me pregnant w/o complications until 36 weeks. The doctor was concerned that I had preterm contractions with both Logan and Cameron. With Logan the contractions didn't start until 30 weeks and with Cameron it was 27 weeks. Also, both babies were born early. Even though the Dr. was concerned about that, I wasn't. Both boys were 7 LBS which is a big enough baby for me. At first I wasn't going to do the shots. I thought it was an unnecessary.Then the Dr. reminded me how uncomfortable 3 to 4 months of contractions were and the side effects of the medicine they give you to stop the contractions. Not to mention the day to day worry of, "Are this contractions causing me to dilate? Should I go to the doctor? etc. (Which is soooo true. The day both boys were born I was having the same contractions as before-the only difference is I had a Dr appt. YIKES, what if I had no Dr appt, would I had two home births?) I decided that if I can have a pregnancy without 3 to 4 months of extra worry it is totally worth it. I also had this deep down feeling to do it-you know that "inner voice" we should always listen to but sometimes don't. The injections haven't been that bad. Luckily Jared knows how to give the shots so I don't have to travel to the dr's every week. The side effects haven't been that bad. The last three shots Jared has given to me at night. The next day I wake up a little more "moody" than the day before and the injection site is a little sore, no bruising or anything. The last shot Jared gave me during the day which I won't do again. I was throwing up and nauseated all day long. Time will only tell if the shots will really help or not. I hope they do. Other than the shots, I have only felt the normal pregnancy issues. The baby moves constantly, I'm hungry all the time, and time seems to be slowing down. When I think about how many weeks I am, I'm only 23 weeks today. Since this is the last baby, I haven't been stressing as much about what eat. If I feel like cake, I'm going to have some. In fact I think I have a treat every day. If I need to have a day where we sit in our p.j.s all day, we do it. I've been savoring every kick and movement instead of complaining (at least I'm trying not to focus on all the downsides of being pregnant). I'm trying to enjoy each and little moment. Now where are those chips...I mean carrots. I need to eat.

No comments: