Friday, February 13, 2009

THE DAYS OF MY TUMMY...(INSTEAD OF THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES)

Contractions Wednesday night were not going away. In fact, they were coming about every 5 minutes. The on call Dr. said I could not take any more medicine at home and that I needed to be evaluated. We made the decision to go to the hospital since during my Dr.'s visit I was showing signs of labor. At the hospital the contractions were every two minutes apart. I received another round of terbuline. After 4 hours (11:30-1:30) I was sent home. At the hospital I was dilated 1+ and 60% effaced, earlier I was only a 1 and 50% effaced. This small change didn't cause "alarm" for me to stay in the hospital b/c the medicine was stopping the contractions. (After the hospital I went online to refresh my memory of what all this means. When I asked the nurse, I could tell by her look what she was thinking "you've had two kids right? Why don't you know what dilation & effacement mean? I do, but I found a great illustration that went through each step of labor! Now I really understand what my body is doing.) With both Logan and Cameron I began dilation a lot later in pregnancy. But after I started to "progress" I gave birth within a week.Yesterday morning I received my second round of steroids. When the Dr. checked me again, I had progressed to almost a two. They have had me on bed rest, but I wasn't following the guidelines of it. I'm finally realizing that even though Logan & Cameron can easily be entertained with play-doh, movies, coloring, and "quiet" activities. They still demand a lot out of me. I have to feed them, help dress them, change diapers, & other small tasks that are now to much for me to do. Mother-in law is returning on Monday. Jared has all weekend off so we just have to get through today. Logan says he will get me water and snacks when I need them. He brought me a yogurt this morning. He keeps asking if the baby is going to fall out :) I told him that we just need to keep him/her in a little longer so it it can come home and not stay in the hospital.Next week, hopefully not until Wednesday when I see the Dr, I'm going to request a more in depth ultrasound. I would like to know how big the baby actually is measuring. If it is right on target it should be around 33 weeks. I think knowing how big it is will give me a little peace of mind if him/her comes in the next few weeks. My dose of nifedipine is now twice what I was taking a week ago. Now I'm on the max- 60mg- twice a day. I feel like I have drank a gallon of Red Bull. It makes me very HIPER- my heart races & I feel like I'm going 100 miles an hour. This normally would be fine if I could use this "energy" to my advantage-for cleaning the house, shopping etc. Instead I am stuck in bed reading magazines. I have often wished for days like this; sleeping, eating, and not having to "play" with the kids. But that is usually when I'm not feeling good. This medicine makes me feel more than good, I feel great. Last night I went to bed at 10, woke up at 1 with contractions, and have been awake ever since. I'm waiting for the "fall' to come. I hope it is right around nap time. However, if the contractions start back up I have to take the medicine again. I'm crossing my fingers it is after I get some sleep!

4 comments:

tracy said...

Even though you are so hyped up on the "red bull drug", your voice still is so calm and even a tad groggy - :) I wish you could fall asleep! How weird this must be for you, and annoying! Try a warm shower before bed and put your lavender eye pillow on your face to relax you. I just used mine you made me for Zo the other night - on her tummy! It worked great!

Remember, I am open on Wednesday anytime if you need me to have the boys prior to them coming on Friday!

Love, Tracy

Jackie Blum said...

Hang in there sweetie! You are AMAZING! The steroids have done their job and with hope things will get better from here. Get help from whoever will give it to you and remember that everything you do you are doing for the health of your baby. Keep on keepin' on!

Ashley C. said...

what a crappy deal. i am so sorry liz. i wish i was closer so i could be helpful. i am glad your mother in law is coming. hang in there hon.
love you.

c said...

Hang in there girl - you are doing great! (Why is the end so very difficult?)