Monday, February 2, 2009

The Guessing Game

Last night I had EXTREME lower pelvic pain. I literally thought the baby was trying to claw it's way out of my stomach. My first thought was that the baby dropped and his/her head was just in my pelvic cavity. I took the contraction medicine, but it wasn't helping. I sat up all night wondering, should I be in the hospital right now, should I call the Dr??? I hate not knowing what to do. All three pregnancies I've had to do this stupid guessing game. Is this labor or not? Should I disrupt the whole family just b/c I think it is? Needless to say, I was very stressed out. I said a little pray... or more like a request "send me a sign!!!" I took another dose of Nifedipine and waited a few minutes. After this dose, I felt a lot calmer and took this as a sign that things were ok. I was able to get two hours of sleep (of course my dream had to be about going to the hospital...). When the contractions arrived again, I didn't delay a call to the Doctor. She wanted to see me ASAP. Unfortunately so did some other patients. When I arrived she was in emergency surgery. The office nurse sent me to labor and delivery to be poked and monitored. Thank goodness Jared was with me!! If I had to walk into that delivery room alone, I would of lost it. After being monitored it was clear that the Nifedipine wasn't working (my contractions were about 1 to 2 minutes apart) and I had to be given a round of Terbuline. I can't stand Terbuline. It makes your heart race and your whole body have the jitters. After an hour, they had to give me a second round. FUN STUFF
After enduring an exam, a catheter (to get the "cleanest catch" possible), two shots, and some blood drawn the cause of all the contractions is.....UNKNOWN!!! There is nothing medically that is causing me to be having so many contractions. It's very frustrating b/c I would like to have a reason -so I can fix it. If it was an infection, here is some antibiotics. etc. The FFN test was negative (which means I should have two more weeks of being pregnant). I'm not dilating or progressing beyond what I was doing two weeks ago. Which is GREAT news. I'm just having labor contractions. The Dr. gave me another Nifedipine prescription that is 3x stronger than what I was taking. This SHOULD settle things down. Tonight I feel very tired, but contractions seem few and far between. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this stronger dose will finally be the right amount.

3 comments:

Bkay said...

I think maybe you should try right away for another baby....just to see if you can have a NORMAL experience!! I am kidding, I feel so bad that you have to go through this all over again! I am sure you are so tired, physically and emotionally! You are in my prayers, and I know Heavenly Father will comfort you whenever you need it! Get some rest, and know you are loved.

tracy said...

I am diagnosing you with "uterus chaos", Latin for, "Holy crap, what is going on in there?!"

I am ten seconds away, girlie - you just let me know when and if you need me!

I may pop over tommorow late morning/noonish if that is okay.

Much love... T

Jackie Blum said...

Again, feeling like I could have written your post! The whole "What should I do?" feeling is universal. That was a lot of my stress, just not knowing what in the heck to do. Unfortunately, it won't end until the little one is here, and even then, you still wonder what to do... it's just about different things. :o) The prayer to ask God for a sign is one I did several times each day.

The GREAT news is that your ffn test was negative. Mine were always positive. More great news is that whatever you're feeling, it's not affecting your cervix. Both good things pointing in the direction of a longer pregnancy! If you want my diagnosis, I think you simply have an irritable uterus. It's an actual condition that exists (I have it, too). Nothing can be done to fix it, but meds can help calm it a little. It sounds like your uterus just doesn't like the state it's in. But you don't have long to go, sweetie. I hope the meds work for as long as you need them to.