Monday, March 9, 2009

False Labor/ Real Labor

On Friday, I was contracting every 5 minutes. I went to the Dr. and I had dilated more than Tuesday's appt but not enough to go to labor and delivery (dilated to almost a 3). At this point they will not stop labor, but they will not help it either. My Dr. said she will not break my water until I'm a 4. Dr. felt that I could stop taking the medicine b/c it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I still choose to take it Friday night because it might not stop labor, but maybe slow it down. The medicine did slow things down to 10 minutes apart. I'm trying to get to at least Monday to have this little one. The closer to 36 weeks the better. On Saturday and Sunday I still was having contractions all day...however they would start up for a few hours and just when we were about to hop into the car, they would go away. I stopped taking the medicine yesterday. Now the question is when do I go the hospital? I have a very irritable uterus. Basically any movement causes my uterus to contract. If I bend down to pick something up, contractions. If I lay on the couch and move side to side, contraction. If I'm sleep peacefully in the night, I will wake up to a huge contraction. I even called my Dr. on Sunday...her reply was, "Liz you are a pro at this, you've had two kids." Well yes, but both babies I went randomly to the Dr. visit and was told to go to hospital b/c I was in true labor. The contractions didn't hurt nor did I have any spotting. The dr. broke my water with both kids. (That is when the contractions started to hurt!) It's funny being on the "safe" side of labor. No longer am I hoping that the contractions go away and aren't progressing me, I'm WISHING for it! I thought I was in true labor yesterday when my contractions were 4 minutes apart for two hours, but then they magically went away???? Hmm, why can't your belly button just turn a different color when the baby is done growing & it was time to delivery:) That would be awesome.

Today I'm just going to relax about the contractions & just continue through my day. Hopefully history will repeat itself in a good way, tomorrow I'll go to my appt. and the Dr. will say, "Today is a great day to have a baby."

*side note: Yesterday I was changing and Logan came in right as I was putting on my shirt. He looked right at my belly and as he was laughing said , "Oh my gosh, your tummy is so big!" Then he went running to Dad, "Dad mommy's tummy is huge. Have you seen it?" This made us all laugh very hard!

2 comments:

Jackie Blum said...

You know, that whole idea about the belly button changing colors when true labor is beginning is a BRILLIANT one! I SO wish that was the case because then I wouldn't have been as neurotic as I was. It looks like it won't be long for you Liz. We made it to 36w2d with Ian, and he came out as feisty as ever! Those steroids have worked their magic, and all will be wonderful with your baby, I just know it! Today looks like a GREAT day to have a baby. Thinking of you and sending you a BIG hug for a healthy labor, delivery and baby!

Jackie

tracy said...

Oh, how I cracked up on the side note as well as the belly button comment. Like the way the thingie in the turkey pops out when it's done! I think a little flashing light would be very cool, or a doorbell chime. Either way, it won't be long now! :)